Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lysistrata Award to Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib


Today’s Lysistrata award goes to Michigan State Representative Rashida Tlaib (D).  Yesterday, she said
"I ask women to boycott men
until they stop moving this through the House."
On top of her proposed boycott, Tlaib attempted to amend part of Michigan’s new anti-contraception legislation (House Bill 57-11) so that it also applied to vasectomies.

Honorable mention to two more Representatives
  • Lisa Brown, who described her religious objection to preserving the life of a fetus over that of the mother, and who was censured for using the word “vagina”  on the floor
  • Barb Byrum, who wasn’t allowed to speak at all, reminding me of what happens when we fail to observe parliamentary procedure, for example at the 1969 UMWA convention
Learn more at Rachel Maddow's blog.

I’ll send all three of them “I support affordable contraception--and I vote” t-shirts as soon as I have some more printed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment